Saturday, September 23, 2006


The Reverend Mother

This is my mom, Latrice Fouche, or as most of her friends call her, Trice. I jokingly call her the Reverend Mother because my dad is a retired minister. When I was in my Freshman year of high school, my dad was ordained and thus obtained the title "Reverend". Being the brilliant teenager that I was, I decided that my mother should be referred to as the Reverend Mother. It's brought a few laughs over the years and certainly I mean it with the utmost respect. Mom turned 75 in December and I think she looks incredible! My mom is a wise, godly, & funny lady! Yes, you can be godly and funny, too, and mom loves a good laugh. She enjoys jokes but usually can only remember the punch line and gets so tickled thinking about the end of the joke she can't tell you the first half. Over the years, we built wonderful memories and many of them were related to our family being in ministry. One of my favorite memories was of mom and I preparing for a Mother & Daughter Banquet at our church. We had many women helping us but mom and I were responsible for the dessert. I remember, we had been told about this wonderful cake, "Jello Poke Cake". Mom and I dedicated the afternoon to preparing our special dessert for the banquet that evening. We mixed and baked the cake according to directions. Then, somewhere after that, we took a wrong turn, however, we didn't realize it until we had covered the cake with the yummy frosting. I remember the feeling of panic when we realized that we had forgotten to "poke" the cake and add the filling. We were faced with a dilema at that point...do we take the cake "as is" or try to redeem our efforts. We quickly removd all the frosting from the cake and placed it back in the bowl and began poking the cake and filling the holes with the jello mix. Once again, we frosted the cake and then broke out in laughter. We stood in the kitchen and laughed until we nearly peed our pants! Later that evening, at the banquet, we received more positive comments about our dessert than any other dish I had ever prepared. Ladies were begging for our receipe. Mom and I would burst into laughter as we told them the process in which to make this wonderful dessert and of course we required that you frost and scrape the cake, poke, fill it, and frost it again.
Jello Poke Cake
1 Yellow Cake Mix
1 Small Jello Mix
Topping:
1 Pkg. Dream Whip
1 Pkg. Vanilla Instant Pudding
1 1/2 Cups Cold Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla
Prepare and bake cake mix according to box directions. (easy enough)
Let cake cool.
Mix Jello with 3/4 cups hot water and 3/4 cups cold water (isn't that room temp?)
Poke holes throughout the cake about 2 or 3 inches apart. (rocket science)
Carefully spoon Jello mixture into the holes.
Smooth topping over the entire cake.
Refrigerate until time to serve.
Enjoy!
Happy Mother's Day Mom...thanks for all the fun memories!
I love you!

1 comment:

Theresa said...

I already read this one too! Did you delete your comments or am I having a deja'vu?